Luckily for us mere mortals, i slightly adapted the Peach Pie recipe by omitting a few not so important ingredients like a $20 millions piece of land in the Hamptons on which to grow your own Peaches.
We can re-create it at home spending about $20 bucks with similar or better results and feeling like $20 millions. If you hold a clutch against rich people you can add to the experience while eating your $3 piece of pie and following this few simple steps:
Sit back comfortably on your couch, close your eyes, visualize a multi-millionaire with his properties, gardeners, fancy cars... while noticing the sweetness of the Peaches from the farmers market on your tongue with hints of cardamon and the flaky, buttery crust. Here come the important part: vizualize Mr Big Bucks again and with an arrogant tone bordering on vengeful speak out loud from the bottom of your lungs: " In Your Face!!".
Aaaahhhhhh....How does it feel? Good Right? His homegrown Peach pie probably doesn't have hints of cardamon anyway and that my friends, makes all the difference in the world!
You're done!...now drink something fruity, and relax, feel the breeze, life is good!
Oh i almost forgot the recipe, you can omit the first 6 ingredients and replace them by peaches from the market.
- A few acres of land in the Hamptons: $20 millions (optional)
- 6 Peach trees @ $3,500 a piece: $21,000 (optional)
- A Private Chef @ $500 a day (optional)
- 2 Gardeners @ $250 a day (optional)
- Lots of ingenuity to keep birds from eating the peaches (optional)
- 3 years before your first batch of peaches (optional)
- A pie plate @ $7.50 at your local kitchen store (not optional)
For the flaky pastry dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (no trans-fat), cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons cold water
For the peach filling:
- 8 ripe peaches peeled, pitted and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamon
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds only
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425' F.
- Make the dough: Place the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the butter and the shortening and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the cold water and pulse until the dough comes together. Do not overwork!
- Reserve in the refrigerator until use or roll 1/2 of the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and line a buttered 9 inches pie pan.
- Make the filling: Place the slice peaches, the sugar, the cornstarch, the lime juice, the ground cardamon and the vanilla bean seeds into a large bowl and toss until well combined, let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the bottom crust and dot with butter.
- Cover with the remaining dough rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut steam vents and brush the top of the pie with an eggwash.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 425'f then reduce heat to 350'f and bake until juices bubble through the vents, 30 to 35 minutes more.
- Let cool on a rack before serving. Best the day it is baked.